Pacifica Foundation's Job Description for
TITLE: Executive Director
STATUS: Regular Full time
SITE: National Office - Pacifica Foundation Radio
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Life, Disability (Upon Completion of Introductory
I. Position Reports to: The Executive Director (ED) is selected, supervised and discharged
by, and reports to, the collective body of the Pacifica National Board of Directors (PNB). In
addition, his/her performance will also be subject to annual evaluation by each Local Station
Board, which may make recommendations to the PNB.
II. Definition: The President of the Foundation is referred to as the "Executive Director." The
Executive Director is the general manager, chief executive officer and chief administrator of
Subject to the control of the Board, the Executive Director shall have general supervision,
direction and control of the business and the offices of the Foundation and the primary
responsibility for implementing the directives, decisions and policies of the Foundation and
the Board pertaining to administration, personnel, programming, financing and public
relations. The Executive Director shall generally promote, coordinate and supervise the
mission of the Foundation and shall have such powers and perform such duties as may be
delegated or assigned to him/her by the Board.
III. The E.D. along with the CFO, ensure that the Foundation operates in a fiscally
responsible fashion in compliance with both state and federal laws.
IV. The E.D. ensures that the Foundation operates in a socially responsible fashion, and with
the mission of the Foundation to operate radio outlets that encourage the creative skills and
energies of the community; to contribute to a lasting understanding between nations and
individuals of all nations, races, creeds and colors; to gather and disseminate information on
the causes of conflict between such groups; to promote the study of political and economic
problems and of the causes of religious, philosophical and racial antagonisms; and to use
varied sources in the public presentation of accurate, comprehensive news on all matters
affecting the community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Primary lead in fund raising, such as oversight of grant writing, major donor events, direct
mail campaigns, etc., for the Foundation. Shall work in concert with the PNB, Station
Managers, Development Director's, LSBs and appropriate committees to ensure the financial
stability and growth of the network.
2. With the exception of the CFO and the National Finance Staff, managing and supervising
the National Staff and General Managers to provide for the effective operation of the
Foundation's public radio stations in compliance with the objectives and policies of the Board
of Directors and consistent with the Pacifica mission.
3. Appointing and facilitating the work of a National Election Supervisor in each year when
elections for delegates are held.
4. Selecting General Managers for each sister station upon vacancy, from candidates
presented by the Local Station Board (LSB).
5. Hiring, coordinating and terminating supervised National staff . (Positions currently
include, Pacifica Radio Archives Director, National Technical Director, Affiliates Program
Director, Webmaster, Administrative Assistant)
6. Conducting annual evaluations of National Staff (not including Finance staff) and General
Managers, with recommendations and in consultation with the respective LSBs, as well as,
Human Resources where appropriate.
7. Ensuring the effective organization of in-person PNB meetings, including preparation of
Board packets, in cooperation and assisted by the Board Chair and/or Coordinating
8. Conforming to the communication policies established by the Board, including accurate
reports and provision of appropriate information for Directors upon request.
9. Supporting the PNB in fulfilling its governance role through regular communication with
the Board and its officers.
10. Attending meetings of the Coordinating Committee. Being available to attend PNB
meetings, whenever participation by the E.D. is needed by the PNB or any of its committees.
11. Ensuring that stations and the network are managed according to state, FCC and CPB
requirements, including state and federal labor and employment regulations, and that any
grievances are addressed and resolved in a fair and timely manner.
12. Participating in Union collective bargaining agreement negotiations and respond to Union
requests in collaboration with the General Managers, CFO and Human Resources as
13. Supervising compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
14. Encouraging equal opportunity and diversity in staffing, management and programming
at stations, the Pacifica Radio Archives, and in the National Office.
15. Working with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), overseeing the Foundation's budget,
and providing for fiscal integrity of the Foundation within the approved limits of the PNB.
16. Developing fiscally sound budgets in coordination with the CFO, General Managers, and
the Pacifica National Board Finance Committee.
17. Reviewing financial statements with the CFO.
18. Monitoring and/or authorizing expenditures as appropriate in accordance with budgets
approved by the PNB, including but not limited to check authorization, reimbursements,
consultant hires, and unbudgeted expense approval.
19. Acknowledging major donor contributions and other support in a timely manner.
20. Bringing contracts to the Coordinating Committee for review and to the PNB for
approval, based on current policies.
21. Providing opportunities for paid and unpaid staff and volunteers from network and
affiliate stations to apply for participation in national coverage and/or national programming.
22. Ensuring the development of excellent national programming that covers major political
and cultural events and topics.
23. Ensuring that technical systems, equipment, and structures adequate for the production
and distribution of programs are maintained.
24. Responsible for guiding the Foundation through technological changes and taking the
lead in defining how to harness new technologies to promote Pacifica and its mission.
25. Overseeing and developing Affiliate relations and other collaborations in order to
encourage productive and mutually beneficial relationships.
26. Promoting activities and development that makes it possible for Pacifica to maximize its
audience and expand its membership.
27. Managing litigation and other legal matters with the PNB, in consultation with
Foundation counsel and other attorneys as needed. The ED and Foundation counsel are
responsible for promptly reporting all legal matters to the PNB.
28. Developing, monitoring and enforcing procedures and policies, and maintaining
confidentiality on legal, personnel and other appropriate matters.
29. Representing the Pacifica Foundation in business relationships with other national and
state nonprofits, government agencies, the media, professional organizations, and similar
30. Expanding positive public awareness of Pacifica through community events, media
outreach efforts, and development of promotional campaigns, including prevailing
technology and social media.
Salary: $80,000 to $100,000 DOE Application deadline: September 29, 2014
Email submissions preferred: edpacifica2014 at gmail.com
Subject line: Pacifica ED Position
Executive Director Position
1925 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.
Berkeley, CA 94704
Please, no phone calls. Thank you.
Pacifica Foundation Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, nationality, gender, age, disability, or sexuality.
Women, people of color, differently-abled people, and members of other under-represented
groups are encouraged to apply.